Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Victory at Sea": great WW II TV epic, by Richard Rogers(& R.R. Bennett); familiar with it?

I have actually played what is probably excerpts from the score on two occasions. One was when I was in high school in the 70s. (Palo Verde High School, Tucson, Arizona...our orchestra teacher was a man named James Stevensen.) I loved it then, and was pleasantly surprised when one of our trombone players ("OUR" meaning community orchestra I am a part of...each July we do two pops concerts along with fireworks and the 1812...members of the orchestra take turns conducting) requested this piece to conduct. I was surprised that there were very few of us (even though there's a wide age range, from 20s to 70s in the orchestra). Anyway, I loved it then and I still love it. I hope we play it again...but we probably won't because any time I like a piece it's almost certain we won't ever play it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment